Saturday, August 28, 2010

the last of the short long runs

Today's long run was only 5 miles, but starting next Saturday it jumps to 9 miles and (with the exception of one 7 miler in mid-Sept) it only increases from there until a week before the marathon in December.

Since the mileage was relatively low today I wanted to keep my pace faster than usual long run pace. I made a wristband for a 58 minute finish (11:36 average pace). I felt fairly confident I could hold it but you just never know if everything will fall in place. I met the run group at 8am and was so thrilled to see so many people there! There were 6 of us and 2 dogs! It was so much fun. 2 people were running 8 miles and 2 of us were running 5 so I was able to have a pace partner which really helped. The weather was great (albeit slightly on the humid side) and I felt confident and strong the entire run. I can only hope that these shorter faster runs pay off when I need the endurance for the longer slower paced runs.

On a personal note (this is like a journal after all) Due to insomnia and other issues I've been having lately I have taken myself off a medication (with the support of my Dr.) that I've been on for a long time. I'm also easing back on supplements. I think I want to just clear my system for awhile and see if I can go as natural as possible. So far so good, I have been sleeping better and feeling less anxious. Most importantly I haven't had any withdrawal side effects that have hindered my training.

Mile 1: 11:18
Mile 2: 10:57
Mile 3: 11:10
Mile 4: 11:06
Mile 5: 10:58

Total Miles: 5
Total Time: 55:27
Avg. Mile: 11:06

3 comments:

  1. neese,

    sounds like you are doing amazing with your training...where exactly is your race and what day in december? glad to hear that your insomnia is better...mine is better too...turns out that a couple of weeks ago i started taking green tea with "hoodia"..had it in my stash and thought it would be good as far as an antioxidant...didn't realize the hoodia was a stimulant and would keep me awake...i am very sensitive to caffeine and now, hoodia...stopped taking it when i ran out of the few i had and realized i was sleeping again with problems...still taking other natural supplements without the insomnia....backed off on the magnesium to twice a day rather than just at bedtime...it has been easier on my gut...

    very impressed with your work,...don't stress yourself too much...enjoy the journey!! take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. meant to say sleeping "without" problems!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy - the race is the Kiawah Island Marathon (on the coast of South Carolina) and it's on a Saturday, December 11th.

    That is interesting regarding your green tea/hoodia. I did something similar a few months ago I started taking a vitamin gummy that had all natural ingredients but promoted "energy" so I think the green tea extract in them may have had caffeine or perhaps there was hoodia in there, because it really jacked me up and once I stopped taking them I was fine.

    Thanks so much for your support!

    ReplyDelete