Saturday, November 20, 2010

20 miles on the 20th with 20 days to go!

I was a bit apprehensive about today's 20 miler after suffering some knee pain during Tuesday's 10. I've been nursing it all week with rest, heat, ice, massage, ibuprofen, positive thinking and for good measure tossed in a pair of compression leg sleeves and a new pair of shoes for this mornings run.

I'm happy to report that although I felt some tightness in the knee/quad area it was fine and not once did I feel something was or could be wrong. I did notice a recurring pain just at the base of my toes on my right foot... I'm wondering if my shoes (although I've been wearing the same kind for 5 years) aren't wide enough. I think this particular 2010 style of shoe is built differently than the ones I've worn in the past and my foot does feel a little more snug in these.

Anyway, the run today was actually hard. Luckily my training partner Wayne was with me and we both helped each other with encouraging words and conversation. We agree that although challenging and seemingly impossible at times the day of the marathon should go well because we will have finally made it after all this training and there will be so many other people there too and the fun of the day and having our loved ones there to support us will help carry us through.

So only 20 days to go... now it's taper time... the weekly mileage decreases and the next long run (over 12 miles) will be on December 11th on Kiawah Island!

Mile 1: 12:02
Mile 2: 12:12
Mile 3: 12:17
Mile 4: 12:16
Mile 5: 12:23
Mile 6: 11:54
Mile 7: 12:25
Mile 8: 12:24
Mile 9: 12:23
Mile 10: 12:37
Mile 11: 12:55
Mile 12: 12:55
Mile 13: 13:26
Mile 14: 12:38
Mile 15: 12:19
Mile 16: 13:35
Mile 17: 12:53
Mile 18: 13:24
Mile 19: 13:29
Mile 20: 12:38

Total Time: 4:13:05
Avg. Mile: 12:39

3 comments:

  1. Go Denise! That's incredible! I can't wait to get up and running again. Reading your posts is such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete