Sunday, December 12, 2010

I did it!

This is my post from August 2, 2010:

I registered for a MARATHON!!!

I couldn't be more excited that I finally did it, I registered for a FULL marathon!!!!! Over the years I knew some day I would like to run a marathon but it never felt right until this year. Perhaps it's the fact I'm turning 40 in September, or that I have almost 50 road races behind me of various non-marathon distances. Whatever it is, it feels right, it feels possible and it's simply, as a runner, something I want to do. I realize it WILL be hard but I'm ready to put in the training and give it my best effort so I can finish strong, proud and with a smile :)
______________________________________________________

After 4 months of training I certainly felt ready to go! Of course my "Aunt Flo" decided to join me this week which bothered me some, and marathon morning was cold and raining. Usually rain is invigorating for me but it literally and figuratively was a bit of a damper for the first 9 miles, making it hard to stay cheery and enjoy it. But having said all that I was very excited to be running a marathon! I understood it would be daunting at times but I trusted all the training would pay off and I feel it did. Even when I would struggle mentally to keep going my pace was still there because my body just took over. After the 20 mile mark however it slowed some and I think that was just partly going past my normal training distance and also just in general being busted from running over 5 consecutive hours.

The sprint to the finish was awesome! and I was so happy to see my sweet Rhett there waiting for me. He, who never was a fan of me running a marathon has been nothing but supportive and wonderful since the day I registered for the marathon. It really helps to have those around you understand your goal and appreciate what you are doing and encourage and cheer you on along the way.

One thing I didn't read much about was the post-marathon recovery..WOW, once the body stops moving it really stops. I found it incredibly difficult to walk from the finish line to the hotel and it is was only a few 100 ft. It was kinda cute and funny at first barely being able to hobble around from point A to B in the hotel room but then it became ridiculous.. I had to walk.. so I sent a text to my friend Tish who suggested an ice bath. NOT something one wants to be doing but I trusted it would work so I tried... I was in there less than 5 minutes and once out I walked around the room like a champ. VERY impressive, I had no idea that's how quickly it worked. I have tightened up again since then and am still hobbling around but not as bad as it was before.

So, yay! marathon complete! Thank you to everyone who is reading this, like I said it means so much to have others support you during a journey like this and I really appreciate all of you that have done just that. A big thank you goes to my massage guy Mark who met with me weekly during my training and helped with stretching and massage. And, also my friends and family who would randomly ask about my training and encourage and believe in me. Thank you thank you thank you! <3 <3 <3

Now for the splits!
 from my Garmin which I stopped at 26.2. The race wasn't finished yet so the official results may be a few minutes slower than this.

Mile 1: 12:03 (learned nothing about starting off slow LOL)
Mile 2: 12:25 (rain, crowds, lots of comments on our shirts!)
Mile 3: 12:37 (rain - doing fine)
Mile 4: 12:27 (rain - doing fine)
Mile 5: 12:22 (rain - doing fine)
Mile 6: 12:09 (rain - and ok, this is 6 miles, 4 more of these, I can do this)
Mile 7: 12:18 (rain - doing fine)
Mile 8: 12:13 (rain - doing fine)
Mile 9: 12:12 (rain - doing fine, but feeling tough, not even half way yet!)
Mile 10: 12:16 (I can do this)
Mile 11: 12:20 (looking forward to seeing Rhett at the half way point)
Mile 12: 12:24 (feeling good)
Mile 13: 12:28 (yay Rhett there taking pics and sight for sore eyes!)
Mile 14: 12:33 (that was fun but we gotta go 13.1 more)
Mile 15: 12:20 (thinking of all sorts of things, words from friends..)
Mile 16: 12:43 (one foot in front of the other)
Mile 17: 12:25 (Objects in motion tend to remain in motion!)
Mile 18: 12:31 (all the FB comments of encouragement, I CAN do this)
Mile 19: 12:45 (ok, I'm just gonna slow up a bit before mile 20)
Mile 20: 12:23 (I'll try to pick it up for the last 6.2 miles)
Mile 21: 12:13 (oh yeah baby!)
Mile 22: 13:11 (not so much lol)
Mile 23: 13:13 (still recovering from going crazy during mile 21)
Mile 24: 12:46 (getting back on track)
Mile 25: 12:51 (you can do this neesey)
Mile 26: 12:35 (yes! within reach!)
Mile .2: 2:22:45 (wahoo!!)

Total Time: 5:27:04
Avg. Mile: 12:29 
Official chip time: 5:29:57!

VERY pleased with this. All my training has been based on keeping the marathon average at 12:30. Things could have gone horribly wrong and I could have been injured or struggled to just finish. So, although this was hard I'm so grateful it worked out so well and I totally recommend Hal Higdon's Novice Training Program if you want to try a marathon yourself! you CAN do it! :)

Signing off from Marathon training blog
-Neese

5 comments:

  1. Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! That's about all I can say.

    I'm so happy you accomplished your goal, and what a cool medal that is. I hope you wore it all day and can somehow finagle another round around Greenville so everyone knows that YOU ARE A MARATHONER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO proud of you Neese! You are a splendid and shining example of what someone can do with a vision and a plan. Your dedication to your training plan was a marvel to experience. I am so glad that we now have these wonderful memories of a once in a lifetime weekend to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the marathon -- awesome job! And hitting the target time like that? DOUBLE awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so proud of you! And your split are *amazing*. All that training really paid off in your consistency.

    ReplyDelete